Safeguarding is everybody’s business. Knowles Nursery School is committed to ensuring that all our children and young people are safe and feel safe; that children, parents/carers and staff are able to talk about any safeguarding concerns and feel assured that they will be listened to; and that all staff and volunteers are aware of and implement safeguarding procedures and guidance, including what to do if they suspect a child or young person may be experiencing, or be at risk of, harm.
In any case where an adult is concerned that a child is, or maybe, at risk of significant harm they must make a referral directly to Milton Keynes Council Multi-Agency Safeguarding Hub (MASH) see contact details below
If a child or other person is at immediate risk of harm, the first response should always be to call the police on 999.
Safeguarding and the welfare of children is the responsibility of all school staff.
We will ensure there are appropriate systems in place when making decisions, taking action and deciding what services to provide to protect individual children. In line with the Education Act 2002, we will ensure that arrangements are in place to safeguard and promote the welfare of children and young people by:
- Establishing a safe environment in which children can learn and develop, where they feel secure and are encouraged to talk and are listened to.
- Providing children and young people with opportunities to discuss issues and report problems affecting their safety and welfare.
- Safeguarding their welfare, particularly those children and young people who are most disadvantaged.
- Including opportunities in the curriculum for children to develop the skills, they need to recognize and stay safe from abuse.
- Ensuring safe recruitment practices.
- Ensuring robust procedures for recognition and referral where there are welfare or child protection concerns.
- Raising awareness amongst staff of child protection issues and ensuring staff are equipped to deal with concerns and keep children safe.
- Monitoring and supporting children and young people who are in care or subject to child protection plans and contributing to the implementation of their plan.
- Promoting partnership working with parents and professionals
Key Contacts In School:
- Headteacher: Natalie Fowler (01908 373753)
- Senior Designated Safeguarding Lead: Natalie Fowler (01908 373753) email@example.com
- Deputy Designated Safeguarding Lead: Sally Megram (Senior Teacher) 01908 373753 firstname.lastname@example.org and Amanda Fisher (Saplings Children's Centre (01908 378123)
- Designated E-Safety Lead: Natalie Fowler (01908 373753)
- Members of Designated E-Safety Team: Stephanie Webb (01908 373753)
- Designated CLA (Children looked after) Lead: Natalie Fowler (01908 373753)
- Chair of Governing Body: Kat Sanders-Wray (01908 373753)
- Designated Governor of Safeguarding: Kat Sanders-Wray (01908 373753)
- Local Authority Designated Officer (LADO) 01908 254300 email: lado@Milton-keynes.gov.uk Milton Keynes Safeguarding Children Board (MKTogether) –https://www.mktogether.co.uk/
- Milton Keynes Council Safeguarding Children – www.milton-keynes.gov.uk/children-young-people-families/children-s-social-care/safeguarding-children
- Multi-Agency Safeguarding Hub (MASH) 01908 253169 or 253170 during office hours or Emergency Social Work Team 01908 265545 out of office hours email: email@example.com
- Click here to view our Safeguarding Policy
- Click to view our Child Protection Policy
We support children with learning how to get along with each other and how to express their needs, wishes and feelings. Children are taught that it is ok to say no to others about things they do not like and that they can speak to a trusted adult about such things. Natalie is trained in Protective Behaviours and we are beginning to weave the two main principles of Protective Behaviours into our everyday practice.
Children are also taught how to keep themselves safe through the PANT rule from the NSPCC https://www.nspcc.org.uk/keeping-children-safe/support-for-parents/pants-underwear-rule/
Safeguarding during COVID-19
Safeguarding procedures during COVID-19. Click here to read about how we will support our children and families at this challenging time.